Monday, August 15, 2011

Get it straight, it's not what I chose

There's been a lot happening lately and I'm bored at work so, here's a 2am update :)

1. A lot of you already know, but I was walking to manager early last week and he asked if I would be interested in working a few more shifts a week at another hotel.  So our corporate group (Shaner) owns a few hotels around here- Springhill Suites (where I work), Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, and the Fairfield Inn and Suites.  Springhill and Fairfield are both Marriott as well.  Well the Fairfield is in need of some night audits shifts covered, so I am working 2-3 nights at both hotels now.  I'm pretty excited.  I've been in contact with the manager over there to get everything sorted out, and I will begin doing shifts there next week.  It feels good to know I'm doing a good enough job that my manager is confident enough to ask me to do this.  I also checked up with him to see how I was doing overall, see if there was anything that needed fixing or anything but he said I'm doing an excellent job.  Again, it feels good.  I'm not used to not majorly screwing up at work haha

2.Andrea and Bobby have FINALLY gotten married.  I am so incredibly happy for them.  They looked so happy and were absolutely glowing.  They are absolutely perfect for each, and their reception was a ton of fun; as was the car ride too and there.  I had one girl Brittany, and then Justin and Fillerup---seriously, who could not have a fun time with this group of people in the car?! haha---it was Brittany's first time meeting Justin and Eric but she didn't seem too spooked by them.

3.I am continuing to plug away at my callings.  I've also been asked to serve on the committee for the Barn Dance in September, which of course will be a blast.  I may be working that night so I probably won't be able to stay for all of it, but it'll still be fun.  Justin also asked me to today to speak at Jamie's baptism on Friday.  I'm excited for him, he's totally awesome and you can definitely feel the Spirit whenever you're around him.

4. We are down to just 66 days until my road trip with Amber.  It is going to be so much fun and this road trip/vacation will be totally needed

5.Started my new semester on Saturday.  My goal is to have this class done by my birthday (Sept 17) Should be pretty manageable I think.

6. So something has been kind of bothering me lately family wise.  I continue to hear people around me say that I chose not to go to college and that my online classes isn't real college.  First of all, I didn't choose to not go to college.  I applied to 4 schools, got into all 4, and planned to go down to Florida to major in Hotel Management.  What happened was finances.  I didn't always have the best of grades because of some personal things that happened in High School.  So because of this, I wasn't able to grab any scholarships.  I wasn't able to get any loans because I either needed 2 years of good credit, or a cosigner.  I didn't have any credit to my name and my parents said they couldn't cosign for me.  I also couldn't get any help or information I needed to be filling out the financial aid papers.  So I was kind of jammed, I didn't really have a choice at this point.  So I just continued working full time.  Then as I was being pressured by everyone around me, I found my way to online college.  Don't get me wrong I was working towards getting to school, but I wanted to be able to have some more money on my side and go to school at an actual campus; but everyone just had a very negative attitude towards me about me "choosing" not to go to school (again, not what happened.)  So I started looking into online school, and I do really enjoy it, but because it's online I am working towards a less specific major than I wanted.  So the other thing is people say that it's not a real college.  While yes I agree it is very different from going on campus to school, it is still very much real.  I am still getting the same diploma, I am still doing the same amount of semesters and doing the work.  While I haven't gone to school on campus I feel like it's just as difficult it not more than going on campus because I have to find the time, motivation, and everything to do it all on my own.  I don't have a set class schedule and I don't have a list of times I have to go to lectures etc etc

No comments: